5 Tips For Soothing A Colicky Baby; More Smiling For All, Less Crying For Babies
I'm so excited to bring this post to you guys! When I partnered with Linqia and Gerber® for the Gerber® Good Start Soothe Infant Formula and Gerber® Soothe Probiotic Colic Drops it was just meant to be. We ended up finding that the Soothe formula was the only thing that worked for Emily when she was born so we weren't surprise when the same formula worked for Brody!
Have you ever had "one of those nights" with your new baby and thought, "Parenthood surely can't be this hard!" I remember being in the hospital with Brody, letting our amazing nurses care for him overnight, Emily was staying with Grandma since we already knew we were having a second cesarean. By the time our stay was up, in all honesty, we were pretty rested! It was so nice to be able to go home rested and feeling pretty good about this whole two kid life. Little did we know over the next few days our entire life would be turned upside down because of this five letter word, "COLIC".
When Emily was born, she didn't have colic, she didn't have or do anything that would be diagnosed or that really needed any special attention other than being a newborn. Naturally we were anticipating Brody to be the same way, so we're shocked to find him so opposite. Being sleep deprived, having a lack of food because we'd rather sleep than eat, raising a two year old who of course wasn't used to having to share our attention, IT WAS HARD!
Brody ended up seeing the pediatrician three times within his first month. We were told he had extreme gassiness which was adding to him being a colicky baby. Talk about not knowing what to do, it felt like we were first time parents all over again. He gave us a run for our money but we finally were able to find some relief. My tips for you handling a colicky baby are below!
- 1. Upright Position: Keeping you baby in an upright position can help with acid reflex and other tummy issues. I would end up wearing Brody since he liked to be upright for such a long time.
- 2. Swaddling Tight and Keeping Baby Warm: When your baby is swaddled up well, he is warm and cuddled and this can remind them of how it felt inside the womb which can help comfort them.
- 3. Baby Exercises: Once Brody's belly was full we would lay him on his back and holding his feet, push his knees to his chest. Doing this motion and the bicycle motion seemed to help move his gas down a bit!
- 4. Movement and White Noise: Download an app on your phone or tablet to be able to have noise going on consistently for your baby. We would try to keep "shhhhhhsh"ing Brody but he needed that to go on far too long for us to do.
- 5. Gerber® Good Start® Soothe formula and Gerber Soothe® Probiotic colic drops, #Formulaforhappiness The Gerber® Good Start® Soothe formula was and still is a game changer for us. This formula is specially designed to ease colic and excessive crying in babies. It worked for us and we all, Brody and Mom and Dad, felt relief after such a short period of time. Note that this formula is not meant to "cure" colic, but as a routine formula to continue to use! The Gerber Soothe® Probiotic colic drops are clinically shown to reduce the crying time in babies. We can attest to that claim from personal experience. These drops are super simple to give as well and are a must have in our household!
There is nothing better, as a parent, than a happy and healthy baby. Life is easier and families are happier, it just is what it is. Common sense, right? All babies cry, it's a natural thing for them to be able to express themselves. Some babies, though, have a much harder time responding to usual comforting methods and that's where Gerber® came into the picture and helped change everything for us!
Do you have any tips that worked for you and your little ones regarding colic and excessive crying? I'd love to hear about them below! If you're looking for more info on colic and how Gerber® can help, visit here:
I received a free sample of Gerber® Good Start® Soothe Infant Formula or Gerber® Soothe Probiotic Colic Drops from Gerber®. My thoughts and opinions are my own.